C. A. P. Ward is a black cartoonist and illustrator working on heartfelt genre stories. When they aren’t drawing, Ward is often found taking pictures of fungus or skating around east coast potholes.
Ward’s work has been published in anthologies including The Usual Choices, Quindrie Press’ When I Was Me: Moments of Gender Euphoria, and We Belong. Their self-published work includes Where the Lotus Sleeps, Curfew, and Between Sand & Sea which debuted at the 2022 ShortBox Comics Fair.
For publishing inquiries please contact Edward Maxwell of Transatlantic Agency: email@example.com. Reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the contact page for other work. They’re currently available for comics and illustration opportunities.
Quindrie Press, Lost in Cult, Good Trouble Productions, Stacked Deck Press, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Strange Horizons, Lucky Jefferson Literary Magazine, Destiny Education, and Annick Press.
Proud member of the Cartoonist Cooperative. Outreach Committee 2023-Present.
- Richmond Indie Comics Expo, 2023
- Richmond Zine Fest, 2023
- Massachusetts Indie Comics Expo, 2023
- Toronto Comic Arts Festival, 2023 (In Person), 2021-23 (Digital)
- Flights of Foundry, 2022-2023 (recorded panels)
- Bluestockings Digital Comics Festival, May 23rd – 29th, 2022.
- ShortBox Comics Fair, 2021 & 2022
- Canzine Fall, 2021 (digital only)
- Queer Days Art Market @ StudioTwoThree, Summer 2021
Press & Reviews
- Review of Between Sand & Sea — Jesse Eoin’s More Comics Please! #5
- Comics We Like STLT by Rico Taveras & C. A. P. Ward featured on Black Josei Press’ site
- Salt and Honey Podcast 2022 Minicomic Awards Ceremony
- Mycelysis — G.G. Diniz’s short story inspired by C. A. P. Ward’s illustration
- REVIEW: When I Was Me Captures Colorful Snapshots of Queer Joy — Kathryn Hemman for WWAC
- Groundbreaking trans comic anthology captures rapturous moments of joy and gender euphoria — Maggie Baska for PinkNews
- Black Lives Matter RVA Curator’s Choice (In Memoriam) Interview — Emily Smith, 1708 Gallery
- Runner-Up in 2022 Mini Comics Awards for Fantasy, Salt and Honey Podcast, 2022
- Black Lives Matter RVA Curator’s Choice, 2021
- Anderson Gallery Publication Grant, 2021
- ShortBox Independent Cartoonist Grant, 2021
- Control+, Beijing, China, Indefinitely Postponed
- Conscious, Subconscious, (Collective) Unconscious, Richmond, Virginia, 2022
- Black Lives Matter RVA, online but specific to Richmond, Virginia, 2021
- Omens, a Communication Arts Exhibition at the Anderson Gallery, 2020
- VCU-Sacramento State Slant Step, 2019
Creators to Check Out
Cycles irregularly but the recommendations stand